Alector historic heritage project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armenian holiday: Vardavar

3 posters

Go down

Armenian holiday: Vardavar Empty Armenian holiday: Vardavar

Post by LH-jan Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:33 am

Hello everyone. My name is Laura and I would like to describe my national Armenian celebration, named “Vardavar”
For many years Armenians celebrate a wonderful and interesting holiday Vardavar, which is the largest summer festival in the Armenian tradition. This is always sunny and hot day, and all the residents of Armenia – from all area around, young and old, armed with water pistols, and buckets, pour water on each other, screaming and laughing. And you can not be offended if your makeup or hairstyle is messed up - on this day everyone must be prepared to “water treatment”. It is believed, that Vardavar water has healing properties. Besides, when outside is + 40 degree, people can only be glad to cool.
A lovely summer holiday Vardavar is celebrated on the first Sunday after 14 weeks after Easter.
In pagan Armenia, Vardavar celebrated as a holiday of love between gods Vahagn and Astghik. According to legend, on this day the beautiful goddess of love Astghik, giving roses and rose water, sowing the seeds of love. A fearless dragons’ fighter Vahagn guarded these seeds from the forces of evil. According to legend, one day, she heard that her beloved was seriously wounded, and beautiful Astghik ran to him barefoot. While she ran, she wounded her legs with spikes of roses, coloring them with her blood. Since then, a rose in Armenia is considered a symbol of love.
There are two versions of the origin of the holiday name - Vardavar. For one, it goes back to the word “ward” (Rose) and means “to cover with roses”. According to another version, the word Vardavar consists of the roots “ward” – “water” and “var” – “to wash, watering”, and mean “water spray”, which is the essence of the holiday.
Among the Armenian traditional holidays Vardavar - is the biggest holiday of the summer, one of the most popular among Armenians. And so this holiday Armenians celebrate not only in the country, but also outside of their homeland.
LH-jan
LH-jan

Back to top Go down

Armenian holiday: Vardavar Empty Re: Armenian holiday: Vardavar

Post by IManager Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 am

I think it's a very interesting celebration. Children would love it especially. The more we enjoy simple moment of our life, the happier we are/

IManager

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKsenia Thu May 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Each nation has lots of celebrations. It is always interesting to discover something new)
MissKsenia
MissKsenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum